Pechory

Pechory is a region centre in the Pskov area in 52 km to the west from Pskov.

The town is located in 3 km from the railway station of Pechory-Pskovsky along the line Pskov Valka. The population is 12,4 thousands people (1992).

The general sight of the town is the Pskovo-Pechorsky monastery, located in outskirts of the town. 

The ancient Russian town of Pechory, a centre of the district of the same name of Pskov area, is located today, as well as hundred years ago, on the western border of Russia. Near there is the next state Estonia which don't forgotten, that recently the Pechory district belonged to it, and its main town was named "Petseri". However it proceeded not for long. And Pechory are famous in the whole world by unique and charming ancient Russian architectural ensemble, which, as if a gold nut from a fairy tale, is surrounded by fortress walls and towers.

The natural shape of the district was formed in ice-age and post-ice-age. The traces of glacier presents large hills near the town of Pechory. In the district near to Estonian border the pine woods were saved, recently they covered the whole territory of Pechorsky district.

Through the territory of the district and the town the important transit ways, connecting the central and the northern-western areas of Russia with Estonia and Latvia, pass. From Pskov to Pechory it is 47 kilometers by railway or 52 kilometers by a highway. 

Pechory is the modern growing comfortable town with the advanced system of life-support both townspeople, and tourists. Its main sight is the remarkable monastery-fortress on the ancient abrupt coasts of the brook of Kamenets. Hasten to look at this miracle!


The Pskovo-Pechorsky monastery 

The Pskovo-Pechorsky monastery was founded near the river of Kamenets, on an abrupt slope of ravine. There is a legend, that once here a hunter suddenly heard a church singing. He decided, that there were the singing angels. Probably, there the monks, settled in natural caves on sandy slopes, sang. Later these caves were found out by a local peasant. The date of their finding the monastery chronicle determines as 1392. 

The chronicle says, that the founder of the monastery was the priest Ivan, run from Derpt in 1472. This priest founded a monastery at the border with Livonia as a stronghold in struggle with western enemies. 

He dug out in the mountain a small cave church, which was consecrated in 1473. However dangerous neighbourhood with Livonia, whence constant ruinous raids were made, did not allow to develop the monastery. It began to grow and to grow rich only after a joining of Pskov to the Moscow state under Misjur Munekhin, which with support of great Moscow prince began intensive civil work. 

In the 16th century the monastery became especially stronger and grown rich under priest Kornilij, governed the monastery from 1529 till 1570. Then around the monastery the fortress walls with nine towers and three gates were constructed, and inside the stone Blagoveshchenskaja church and the gate Nikolskaja church were constructed. The icon workshop was arranged, the Pskov third chronicle was began. The number of the monks increased.

The tsar Ivan Grozny loved the monastery. The Pechorskaja fortress played an important role in the Livonia war, protecting western Russian boundaries. 

During Livonia and Northern wars the monastery-fortress many times repulsed the attacks of enemies. In the fortress there constantly was a strong garrison of Russian army, which battled side by side with the local population.  


The Uspenskaja (the 15th century) and Pokrovskaja (the 18th century) churches. The end of the "blood way" and the main square of the monastery. 

As the award for a service and a fidelity the Russian tsars generously awarded the monastery becoming the largest and rather rich land owner. However in the 18th century under Ekaterina II all the monastery grounds passed to the state, and then they were distributed to the landowners. 

But the monastery grew rich not only by grounds. There were also many treasures, a lot of them were given by tsars, great princes and rich landowners. Unfortunately, all this was plundered by invaders during Great Patriotic war and only partially returned subsequently. 

After October revolution the town repeatedly passed from hands in hands. Under the agreement of 1920 Pechory and Izborsk with vicinities passed to Estonia and began to be named "Petseri" and "Irboska". In 1940 Estonia was joined to Soviet Union. During the Great Patriotic war all district was occupied by German troops, there was persistent guerilla warfare with large losses, and only in August, 1944 Pechory were liberated, and in January, 1945 the special governmental decree formed the Pechorsky district in structure of Pskov area. The ancient Russian town received again the name Pechory, and the perfect Pechorsky monastery-fortress after realisation of the restoration works attracts an attention of amateurs of beauty and antiquities.