Haapsalu

Warm sea water, curative mud and fresh air have made Haapsalu well-known for centuries. Only a hundred kilometres away from the capital, it's always been a loved summer resort in Estonia. 

The oldest part of Haapsalu is built on a strip of land that was formed of many islets only a few hundred years back. Narrow streets with the wooden houses not changed much from the beginning of XXth century bring you to the sea again and again. Haapsalu has been called the Nordic Venice for that plentitude of water. 

Above all, Haapsalu is a town for people. A bit self-contained peace and silence are not the only values to find this over 700 year old town: eventful summer season has become Haapsalu's trade mark. 

Haapsalu officially became a town in 1279. 

The town's area is 10.6 square kilometres, and has a measured length of 25 kilometres. 

Fourteen of those kilometres are coastline.

  



Points of interest:

The Episcopal castle , which is one of the best-preserved castles in Estonia, is a good place to start a walking tour in Haapsalu. Since the end of the 13th century up to the year 1559 it served as the centre of the Diocese of West Estonia and the islands.

The Town Hall , built in the 18th century, where at the present the Läänemaa Museum is located.

The town church St. John's Church. It was rebuilt from an old warehouse in the 15th century and it differs from the others because of its north-south position.

Aafrika beach and The Promenade - Haapsalu was a famous spa town in the Czarist era, and the seaside Promenade still reflects the glory of these times. The gem of the Promenade is the Kuursaal (Assembly Hall). 

The Promenade, on the coast of the bay, begins from the so-called African beach that was once used for swimming and now is a site for a children's playground. The Promenade heads left, following the shore, towards the sundial by artist Roman Haavamäe. The scenes on the clock depict different phases of life from childhood to old age.

The Museum of Coastal Swedes - before the WW II Haapsalu was the capital of Estonian Swedes.